Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Another update

Being a teacher, I am taking advantage of this snow day.  I have been enjoying my time with Hudson.  He has been talking up a storm, adding new words to his vocabulary daily!  He loves my "maymen" (snowmen & penguin) stuffed animals right now and spends hours playing with them.  I am trying to get a cute video of him to post, but as soon as he sees the camera he stops what he is doing to say, "cheeeeee."  Although adorable, it is also a bit frustrating.  Hopefully a video is to come!

I have also been productive.  I already vacuumed (which I could not do about 3-4 months ago), threw in a load of laundry (easier than months ago, but still cumbersome because of all the bending required to unload the washer) and made double chocolate, caramel, sea-salt bark (I found the recipe on Pinterest.  Here's hoping it lives up to my expectations because the pumpkin brownies I made the other day were a bust!) Now I am finally writing an update before watching another cheesy Lifetime Christmas movie and crafting (2 more projects I found on Pinterest.  I am making a felt tree for Hudson and his cousin's to play with on Christmas eve.  I will post a picture when it is finished.)

Quick update:
I have an infusion of Herceptin on Thursday, Dec. 12.  No appointments that day, so hopefully everything will be quick!

I had an ECHO (heart ultrasound) on Friday, Nov. 28 and will get the results soon.  That is the test they do to check my heart's function to make sure the Herceptin is not causing damage.  They will be every 2 months.  Not invasive in anyway, just annoying.

I also had an MRI a few weeks ago.  I have an appointment with my neurologist and radiologist on Monday, Dec. 16 to discuss my progress.  Hoping the tumor has been shrinking over the past 3 months!!

I started physical therapy a few weeks ago and I think it is going well.  I admit, I could be doing more exercises at home, but after working all day I am exhausted.  Taking care of Hudson before crashing into my pillow is still about all I can handle right now.  My energy is slowly improving, but I still rely heavily on coffee (either that or I am not addicted, which is quite possible) to get me through the day. 

Continued prayers and positive thoughts are invited as I am not out of the woods yet, but things continue to improve.

Thanksgiving was far more enjoyable this year.  Last year I could not be part of the festivities in anyway.  I was in far too much pain and still only thought I had a compression fracture.  I spent the night sitting on a soft arm chair with a heating pad while my family took care of Hudson.  This year Frank and I hosted my mom's family.  I was more involved, although I have to say my mom and cousin Erica did the majority of the cooking (which I do not mind since cooking is not my favorite thing). 

I was in charge of separating the leftovers  which ended up being a very overwhelming and daunting task for me.  Since finishing chemo I am still suffering from "chemo brain."  Mutil-step tasks sometimes seem impossible for me.  I see everything in front of me and I cannot think of how to start.  My brain feels like someone is spinning like a top and it is unable to stop on first step of the task in front of me.  I also struggle to find the words I mean to say and sometimes say a word that really doesn't make sense.  It frustrates me because I feel that I look less intelligent, especially in a professional setting.  I know people understand that I am dealing with this, but my patience is dwindling.  I want to be in charge of me again.  I am sick and tired of dealing with chemo effects.  I need to thank my family, friends and especially my co-workers who deal with me on a daily basis and have far more patience than me.  My co-workers help pick up my slack and step in oftentimes right when I need them to.  I want them to know how much I appreciate everything they do for me.  They are really an extension of my family and I am so lucky to work where I do!!  I have said it before, but taking the leap of faith 5+ years ago to become an ESL assistant in a district I never heard of before, was the best decision I EVER made (well that and marrying Frank of course!).

I am looking forward to Christmas more than I ever thought possible.  Hudson is 20 months and I think he will truly be excited on Christmas morning when he comes downstairs and sees all his gifts.  Last year was wonderful too, but it was more for Frank and me.  Hudson was too young.  We did not even wrap a single gift.  This year I can't wait to watch Huddy rip the wrapping paper and then pause to throw out his "ka-ka" (trash).  He is a very clean little boy!

Thanks to everyone who continues to read my blogs and follow this journey.  Wishing you all happy holidays and a VERY healthy new year.

2 comments:

  1. Caity, this is a beautiful post! I am so happy to hear you are starting to feel a little bit better. I think of you and pray for you every day - that you continue to get stronger and heal completely. You are such a strong woman. I can't imagine working while caring for a baby WHILE going through breast cancer treatment. You continue to inspire. Sending warm holiday thoughts and wishes for a full recovery. You are almost there - keep on being amazing. Love you! Marjie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing woman, wife, mother. I am a seven year survivor, estrogen +. When I read this I wonder how you have found so much strength? You have done so much while dealing with this disease, you are truly and inspiration for others. One day you will forget the chemo brain ever existed, so just have patience with that part of it, don't be hard on yourself because of it! You are truly an inspiration. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete