Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Chemo Prep

I have been scouring the internet to find advice about what to take to chemo treatments.  I have found some very helpful entries and I have compiled my own list of "necessities" based on this information.

My husband often tells me I pack too much.  "No one needs this huge suitcase for a weekend trip to the shore. You do not need 45 diapers for one night. We are just going to my parents. What is all this stuff?" (I am taking some creative license here, but he has said similar things many times).  Anyway, I was a Girl Scout from first grade through senior year of high school and if I learned anything it was, "always be prepared!"  I would rather have too many options than not enough.  That being said, I plan to fill the car with anything I may possibly need and send my mom and husband out to grab what I need (sorry guys).  

Pillow & Blanket - I know they will have some there, but they will be all hospital-ly.  I have too many bad memories of hospitals over the last few years, so I need my own, comfortable, soft pillow and blanket with me.  Everything I have read mentioned the chemo room may be cold or the drugs may make you feel cold.

Mints & Jolly Ranchers- To suck on in case the medicine gives me a metallic taste.

Snacks - I have a very hard time deciding what to take because everyone warned me that whatever foods a person eats during chemo are later associated with it and the person does not like them anymore.  How do I choose foods to eat now knowing I will probably never want them again?  I tried to choose foods that I feel "take it or leave it" about:
- granola bars
- raisins
- applesauce
- Fig Newtons
- cottage cheese
- peanut butter crackers
- Chex Mix
- Fruit snacks
- Goldfish crackers

Hydration - I will have my 24oz insulated, breast cancer cup and a Glacier Freeze Gatorade with me.  It is important to flush your system during and after chemo to move the toxins out of your body as quickly as possible.

Laptop & Samsung Galaxy Tablet - Yes, both are needed.  I want to blog while I am there and I cannot do it on my tablet because I need an actual keyboard.  I also have games on my tablet, like Draw Something, that I cannot play on my laptop.  I have Netflix and can watch movies while I am there, but would prefer to do that on the laptop because the screen is larger.  I also want to work on my photo book for Hudson and I cannot do that on my tablet.  I will use BOTH to go on Facebook throughout the day to see all of the PINK support posted.

Other Entertainment - I may take magazines, books and some crochet projects that were started a few years ago and forgotten.  I do have an afghan that is more than half finished.  Maybe it will be done by the summer and I can use it in my bedroom.  The colors will go perfectly with our freshly painted walls (thanks dad & Claudia).

Cute, Comfy Outfit - I went to Target and got a workout outfit that is both cute and comfortable.  I wanted to promote the pink while I was there so I made sure to get a pink shirt and jacket with a pink zipper.  The neon argyle socks are my favorite part (Fun fact: I have over 100 pairs of fun-printed socks.  Some I have had since 8th grade when I made a bet with a kid that I would never wear solid white socks again.  I think I have kept to that for all but maybe 2-3 days over the past 15 years, honestly!).  I will even be wearing pink undies!  I chose a looser, v-neck shirt so that the nurses have easy access to my port.  It is located on my left side a few inches below my collar bone.

My mom's friend from high school sent me a cute neon pink tank and zip-up hoodie sweatshirt.  It was so thoughtful of her.  Now I have 2 pink options for my treatments!



1 comment:

  1. Cait we will be thinking about you all day today and every day to come. I love your cute outfit and socks! Your fb page is amazing along with all of your support. Love you!

    ReplyDelete