Sunday, March 24, 2013

Radiation, FINALLY!!!

For some reason I have had the hardest time getting motivated to write this entry.  I worked most of the week and was exhausted by the time I got home.  I also had a sick baby on my hands who spiked a fever early Friday and required me to leave work unexpectedly.  Parenthood!  Anyway...

I finally had my radiation treatment on Friday, March 15.  That was after one cancellation and two postponements. The machine I was supposed to have my treatment with was still out of commission so I was treated at a different facility at Jefferson.  Annoying!  The machine they had available was older and the treatment lasted longer than I expected.

My treatment was scheduled for 2pm.  Frank and I took advantage of the late appointment and went out to lunch beforehand.  Once again I was craving meat and was devastated to find out the sausage, tortellini meal I love was no longer on the menu.  What a let down!  I conceded and had sausage soup.  Also very delicious and helped satisfy my body's need for protein.

We got to the radiation center early and of course they were running behind.  Eventually my doctor came to get me and took me into an exam room to explain the process.  I was given one steroid pill, to help fight against a tumor flair and one, half-strength anti-nausea pill just in case.  (I hate taking that medicine because it is the cause of all my bowel issues.  When I mentioned my lack of bathroom trips to my nurse, and all the different over-the-counter drugs I had tried he responded by saying, "Yea, some people need dynamite "  Frank and I laughed out loud with that comment.  It was so true.  I finally drank some more liquid dynamite and the problem is somewhat under control.  Until the next round of chemo probably.)

When they took back I was surprised at how unimpressive the room was.  I expected it to look a lot more updated and full of highly advanced equipment.  The radiation machine was there with a table and tons of cabinets and an old desktop computer.  Some cameras on the ceiling and some other stuff that was disabled a long time ago.  The nurses helped me climb onto the carbon table and lay down into my "body mold" mattress thingy.  I stayed fully clothed the entire time, they just pulled shirt up so my stomach and back were exposed.

Before they could begin they had to take a mini CT scan to make sure they had everything lined up properly.  It would not be a good idea to just blindly start shooting a radioactive beam into the center of my body!  Once they were happy with everything, they started the radiation.  The machine rotated around the table six times.  It took about 20 minutes.  Afterwards they took another CT scan to check if I had moved (more on that in a minute) and then completed the treatment with six more rotations.  All together I had to lay still for an hour and 20 minutes.  The CD they put on for me to listen to had run out and I ended up just staring at the ceiling, grinding my teeth to the rhythm of the machine (which seems to happen often, based on the pain in some of my molars) using every ounce of my being not to FREAK out about the pain and tightness in EVERY muscle of my body. It is amazing how a person's will can help them stay calm in a stressful situation.    I was really uncomfortable by the end of the treatment but I knew I had to stay still because it would make for a better round of treatment.  All I wanted was to make sure this cancer was being killed, so I held it together.

Throughout the entire process I had to hold completely still.  When the treatment was over my nurses and doctor came in to help me off the table.  My shoulders and arms were so stiff and sore because they were above my head the entire time.  Both my legs had fallen asleep and they were throbbing.  My doctor told me I get the award for the least amount of movement during a treatment.  I had moved a little less than 1mm.  That is such a small amount that they did not have to readjust anything.  GO ME!  Then she chimed in with a laugh and said, "And I forgot to offer you a muscle relaxer!  Sorry about that but great work!"  I fake laughed at that due to my intense pain.  That probably would have helped.

After the treatment we went back to the exam room to discuss possible side effects (which all I had was some sleepiness) and scheduled a follow up appointment for five weeks later.  Then we were on our merry way.

The ride home was HORRIBLE!  We had to take 611 again because we were leaving at rush hour and couldn't take the main highway due to traffic.  That makes a typical 45 minute drive about an hour and a half.  Half way home I began to FREAK out.  My legs were throbbing, I was screaming, sweating and tugging at my clothes.  Every red light made it worse.  I was having a major panic attack brought on by the steroids.  All I wanted was a hot bath to help stop my leg pain.  When we got home I burst into tears (again from the drugs), ran upstairs and hopped into the bath.  Unfortunately my legs ached all night which made it difficult to sleep.  Thankfully when I woke up they felt much better as did my back.

The bone in my back is less sensitive to touch and I can lean against most chairs again.  I also have some more range of motion.  All signs that something is working to kill this cancer!  As painless and "easy" as this treatment was I am very glad I only had to go once. It is amazing what science and technology can do for us now.

1 comment:

  1. Caity you are one of the strongest women I know. I pray for you and think of you every day. Please know Sean and I are here for you and your family, for whatever you may need, and I am only a phonecall away - day or night. How many radiation treatments are you scheduled to get? How are you feeling today? All my love, Marjorie

    ReplyDelete