Sunday, February 10, 2013

Scans & Procedures

I have been poked, prodded and scanned far too many times since November 2012.  Here is a list of all testing that has been done or will be done soon.

1. Annual Mammogram - This was so stressful because I had not had any testing since before I was pregnant.  I had a set of images taken and then had to wait for the radiologist to read it.  The tech came back and told me the doctor wanted more images because she didn't like what she saw!  So, more squeezing, flattening and pain.  (Oh and milk squirting out because I was still postpartum and apparently milk can be in there for up to 10 months!)  All of this stress to tell me that everything was fine but next time I should not come so close to my period.  Well....I had no clue when I was going to get my period because it was still screwy from having Hudson.  Lesson learned!

2. X-ray of my back and ribs - This was easy and painless.  I just did not like that I was being exposed to more radiation again because of my cancer history.

3. MRI of my back and ribs (without contrast) - Another painless test, but LONG and LOUD.  I love how they give you headphones so you can listen to any radio station of your choice.  That would be great if you could actually hear the songs over the banging and beeping of the machine.  Apparently some people fall asleep during that test.  Not sure how that happens since the sounds that machine makes are far worse than any fire alarm I have ever heard. 

4. Dexascan (x-ray of my hips to check for osteoporosis) - Another painless test but more time off work to find out that osteoporosis is not my problem.

5. Bonescan - This test was an all day affair.  I had to get to the hospital early so they could give me an injection of a small amount of radioactive something.  They took one picture then sent me on my way for 2 hours.  I had to drink a lot to help move the injection through my body.  Then I came back and they took pictures for over an hour!  I got nervous because they came in and asked me to turn over so they could get a better look.  That is NEVER good. 

*Side note - all of these tests only showed a compression fracture which all doctors agreed was odd but they were not concerned.

6. Kyphoplasty & Bone Biopsy - Kyphoplasty is a fancy way of saying the doctor puts some cement in the break to hold the bones in the correct place. More info here - http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/description-kyphoplasty-surgery I had to be put to sleep for this which was fine by me because I have had enough painful things done to me in the past.  Knock me out and then poke around, thank you very much!  The doctor took a piece of bone to test for cancer since he was already in there.  Both things were done at the same time.

7. Bloodwork - YUCK!  Unfortunately it becomes a way of life for cancer patients.

8. PET Scan - This was quite a process.  I had to fast and drink lots of water beforehand.  I was also not allowed to workout the day before (not a problem for me since my broken back does not allow for exercise).  When I got there the nurse had to stab me in the arm 3 times before she could get the needle in and inject me with radioactive sugar water.  Then I had to lay still and not talk for an hour and a half while the sugar water did its thing.  That was difficult.  Thank God for my Samsung Tablet.  Oh, I almost forgot to mention the delicious 12oz creamy vanilla smoothie BARIUM drink.  I had to drink at least half of it.  At that point I was so hungry I almost enjoyed it.  A necessary trip to the restroom to empty the bladder and it was finally time to get my images.  The images only took about 18 minutes.  Short in comparison to everything else I had done.  I felt calm during the entire process because I knew I would finally have very specific answers.  Doctors would be able to see all the cancer and build their plan to KILL it. 

9. Echocardiogram - An ultrasound of my heart to make sure it is strong enough to handle some of the chemo meds.

10. Chest Port - This procedure will be Monday, Feb. 18.  I will update this post afterwards.

11. Radiation Fitting - This will be Thursday, Feb. 21.  I will have a CAT Scan & MRI that will both be used to create the gamma ray.  Then they will create a body mold which will hold me in place during the actual radiation treatment(s).

The craziest part of this list is that I did not mention ANY of the tests I had done beginning in January 2008 through June 2010 when I was first diagnosed.  Then all the testing and images leading up to my mastectomy in July 2010.  I now have 7 scars, nerve damage and shoulder and back issues.  All are reminders of the long, hard journey.  Each time I see my scars I am amazed that I survived all I did.  I have another difficult road ahead of me, but somehow I will come out stronger than when I started.  It have survived two very tough situations and I will survive this too!


1 comment: